Sunday, February 04, 2007

Admin equals Production

I am preparing to run a Value Stream Analysis process in a trust next week focused on the discharge process and communication with the Primary Care Trusts.

As I sit here bringing my materials together I was thinking about how closely the aspects of Lean in Healthcare Admin are to Lean in General Healthcare.

Much as Lean has started migrating from the production areas in manufacturing into the service and admin areas, we are starting to see the same shifts in Lean Healthcare.

We are also finding that the same problems occur - admin processes are even more 'people focused' than the operational areas (wards etc) and the same sensitivities occur as when we are looking at (say) Theatre lists.

However, it never fails to amaze me that despite the fact that Lean seems to work in every area of every organisation, everyone believes it will not work for them. Now, I realise that a lot of people have been 'Lean'd' by someone inexperienced in the past and therefore have recollections of ineffective Lean, but I look forward to having to go through the normal stress associated with the first day of a Value Stream Event (VSE) which will start with trying to convince people Lean works and facilitating sceptics, only to find that by the end of the day we have created another group of converts!

What is your experience?

No comments: