Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Process Change v Behavioural Change

For many of the people I work with the story I am going to tell will be very familiar!

I will start by saying that I believe that a lot of improvement programmes fail because people focus on achieving a change in the process but do not address the required changes in behaviour that support the change.

My example is this:

1. My refuse collectors (dustmen) changed the rules on me and insisted that I moved my bins to the edge of my property else they would not take them (PROCESS CHANGE)

2. The first week after this change, I forgot and the bins were not taken.

3. I also forgot the second week and again the bins were not taken

4. By the third week, I remembered to move the bins to the edge of the property but it was conscious (CONSCIOUS ACCEPTANCE)

5. Now, after a number of weeks, my behaviours have changed and I move the bins without thinking (BEHAVIOUR CHANGE)

When people reach the point where the new process does not feel 'new' anymore (like the point when a 'new' pair of shoes become worn in) it is safe to move on to a new set of improvements.

Without reaching this point (ie the behaviours have not changed) it is likely that the process will revert to the way it was 'before' because that is what 'feels right' to them.

I could go on and on with similar examples, including the behaviours around seatbelts, mobile phones and direct debits but I will save those for the workshops we run on Sustaining Lean.

I would love to hear what your thoughts and experiences are on this..........

No comments: